Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Business of Being Raised!

The Apple Doesn't Fall Too Far From the Tree!

I recently had an "a-ha" moment. It was hilarious actually. In order for you to fully appreciate this moment, I need to give a little bit of background first.

Almost 14 years ago, at the ripe age of 20. I entered into a partnership with my husband. We vowed to love each other in sickness and health and all that other mumbo jumbo (actually, we didn't literally say that, but we all know that is what you do when you get married). Anyway, I didn't read the fine print on the marriage contract. You know, the stuff that says "Your husband CAN and most likely WILL annoy you with little tiny things that really don't matter" and the one that says "The way the toilet paper is hung, REALLY does matter." I guess I was too "in love" to really care what the fine print said. Not that I would have done anything different, but I just wished I would have known then what I know now.

After 14 years of marriage, I have come to realize that all the little things actually do matter. The way the toilet paper is hung REALLY DOES MATTER! In our house the toilet paper is hung over and not under...not because I really care, but because a certain male in the household does...I'll give you a hint...that male is not Ethan. Bread and cereal "should" be left out on the counter to be readily available, Dirty dishes go in the right side of the sink...not the left, and a strainer plug must be kept in the sink at all times so that silverware wont make its way down into the garbage disposal. These little things make a difference in the "happy" Patrick and the "I'm annoyed so everyone else is going to be annoyed with me" Patrick.

Last week, we ventured up to good ol' Boroville...errr I mean, Oroville to visit Patrick's parents. His mom had short notice that we were coming for dinner and was able to pull off a yummy dinner for us to enjoy. After dinner was over, I got in the kitchen and was helping to clean up. The strainer plug was removed from the garbage disposal as I was dumping food and rinsing dishes. As I was doing this, Patrick's mom walked by and noticed that it was not over the disposal. She then proceeded to put it back in its spot and said "Oh, I like to keep this over the disposal so silverware won't go down the drain". It was right then and there that I had my "A-Ha" moment. I realized that it was probably ingrained in Patrick's head growing up that the strainer stays over the disposal and that is how it is supposed to be and that is why he is so anal about it. Same with the dishes being in the right side of the sink, and possibly even the toilet paper being hung the correct way. I often wonder if he actually did the dishes, would the strainer stay in its designated place? I'm not sure I will ever know.

Sure, I've learned it isn't hard to make sure that when I put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder, to do it correctly. But one thing I don't understand and would like to know is...When is my husband going to learn that however I do things in our household, I do it the RIGHT WAY...no matter how he was raised? That, my friends, might take another 14 years of marriage before he gets it...and...I'm willing to wait!

1 comment:

  1. Ok...I'm cracking up here....only because I am also anal about certain things and the way they have to be (only I recognize that it's because it's the way I was taught and have done it all my life). I have always said "Poor Steve" and now I am saying "Poor Rachael" too!

    ReplyDelete