The weekend went by too fast for me, but I enjoyed almost every part of it! I planned a little weekend getaway for Patrick and I down in Occidental. It was very relaxing and fun...at least for the most part.
Our anniversary is coming up at the end of the month and Patrick's birthday was on Saturday, so we took this trip to celebrate both occasions.
The drive down was beautiful. Acres and Acres of green hills with grapes growing. Beautiful scenery. I kept thinking "now that would be an awesome location to do a photography session"...Lots of old barns, old cars, etc. It was pure country!
We drove through what seemed like a forest for many miles and then out of no where, Occidental was there. A very small town without a gas station. There were a few bars, some Italian restaurants, an organic market, another regular market and HOWARDS STATION CAFE. The best breakfast place in the world! The view from our hotel was this:

I felt like I was camping...well, without a tent which is they way I like to camp!
We only had one thing planned for our trip so most of the time we just explored the little cities around Occidental. That area was really hippyish. I can't really think of any other words to describe it. Very natural and maybe somewhat yuppy...

We even found this thing that resembled an ancient telephone. I think it was ancient because it didn't accept credit cards:

Patrick locked the keys in the car the first night we were there so we were grateful that our AAA membership had automatically renewed itself. Of course I didn't have my keys with me so that kind of sucked, but all worked out fine.
We went to Safari West. The closest to an African Safari that we will probably ever get to. Totally loved it! The animals were amazing, the weather was great, but a little on the chilly side, and the company for our 2 hour safari was very interesting!





We ate dinner at the lodge afterwards.


There were these birds. They were insane. Patrick got up to get a drink and I swear within seconds of him getting up, these birds helped themselves to his food with me sitting right there!


The drive home was lame. I don't know for sure but I think Patrick tricked me into driving up Highway 1. I get super carsick and this highway is nothing but a windy road. I was sick the whole ride. Totally sucked. I was able to get out of the car and take some pictures of the ocean, but that was basically it. We stopped at Fort Ross for what Patrick claims was for about an hour. I slept in the car the whole time. We stopped at another place where I took some Dramamine (motion sickness medicine) that really didn't help. The men at the general store there told Patrick a quicker way to get to the main rode, but we had to drive for 47 miles through a mostly one lane rode that reminded me of some horror movies that I've seen in my life. It rained too...but for the most part, I can't really remember much of that drive home. I was too sick to do much but sleep.
I had fun though. It was a much needed break for both Patrick and I. If I learned anything from this trip, I would have to say that according to this giraffe:

The grass really is greener on the other side...
Our anniversary is coming up at the end of the month and Patrick's birthday was on Saturday, so we took this trip to celebrate both occasions.
The drive down was beautiful. Acres and Acres of green hills with grapes growing. Beautiful scenery. I kept thinking "now that would be an awesome location to do a photography session"...Lots of old barns, old cars, etc. It was pure country!
We drove through what seemed like a forest for many miles and then out of no where, Occidental was there. A very small town without a gas station. There were a few bars, some Italian restaurants, an organic market, another regular market and HOWARDS STATION CAFE. The best breakfast place in the world! The view from our hotel was this:

I felt like I was camping...well, without a tent which is they way I like to camp!
We only had one thing planned for our trip so most of the time we just explored the little cities around Occidental. That area was really hippyish. I can't really think of any other words to describe it. Very natural and maybe somewhat yuppy...

We even found this thing that resembled an ancient telephone. I think it was ancient because it didn't accept credit cards:

Patrick locked the keys in the car the first night we were there so we were grateful that our AAA membership had automatically renewed itself. Of course I didn't have my keys with me so that kind of sucked, but all worked out fine.
We went to Safari West. The closest to an African Safari that we will probably ever get to. Totally loved it! The animals were amazing, the weather was great, but a little on the chilly side, and the company for our 2 hour safari was very interesting!





We ate dinner at the lodge afterwards.


There were these birds. They were insane. Patrick got up to get a drink and I swear within seconds of him getting up, these birds helped themselves to his food with me sitting right there!


The drive home was lame. I don't know for sure but I think Patrick tricked me into driving up Highway 1. I get super carsick and this highway is nothing but a windy road. I was sick the whole ride. Totally sucked. I was able to get out of the car and take some pictures of the ocean, but that was basically it. We stopped at Fort Ross for what Patrick claims was for about an hour. I slept in the car the whole time. We stopped at another place where I took some Dramamine (motion sickness medicine) that really didn't help. The men at the general store there told Patrick a quicker way to get to the main rode, but we had to drive for 47 miles through a mostly one lane rode that reminded me of some horror movies that I've seen in my life. It rained too...but for the most part, I can't really remember much of that drive home. I was too sick to do much but sleep.
I had fun though. It was a much needed break for both Patrick and I. If I learned anything from this trip, I would have to say that according to this giraffe:

The grass really is greener on the other side...
What a fun adventure! I loved your description of driving through "pure country." Sometimes I wish that I could live somewhere like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you were able to get away for a little while.