Friday, November 21, 2008

Bragging Rights

Becoming a mother gives you the right to brag about your children. Things that mothers think are so important to share with others may not really be all that important to the listener or in this case, the reader, but I am going to do it anyway. It's so nice to hear positive things about your children from people you don't normally converse with. I had two different conversations in one day regarding my two older daughters in which I think is most definitely blog worthy.

Raya has been begging me for her friend Lizzy to come over and play and although I would prefer her friends to come to my house, I have a hard time allowing them to come when we have school the next day. Since Friday was a no school day, I allowed Lizzy to come over after school on Thursday. The kids played very well together except for when they felt like torturing the only boy in the house. My bragging comes when Lizzy's mom came to pick her up. I have talked with her only a few times. Lizzy hasn't been in Raya's class since kindergarten and they are now in 4th grade so our paths haven't crossed much. Lizzy's mom said that it is finally nice to have such a nice kid for her daughter to play with. Apparently Lizzy has had some "not so nice" friends in the past where her mom had to put a stop to a "not so good" friendship. I am in shock about it. I didn't realize that that kind of stuff happens at 9 years old, but it does and I am now aware. One of the biggest things I try to teach my kids is to always be kind to everyone and make sure they are aware of those who may not have friends or those who are getting picked on and stand up for them. I have seen and heard stories from and about Raya that have made my heart happy and that feeling of "I've taught my kid well" comes over me. One that stands out happened in church. A few boys were picking on a girl while in class saying "Ewwww don't sit next to Emma, she's gross!" Raya's teacher came up to me and told me this story. She said that Raya, without hesitation said "I'll sit next to her." Her teacher said it was so refreshing to see a young person act in that manner and that I've done well teaching her.

Each month at the Elementary school, the principal picks a character trait and has a lunch for students who show that particular trait. The class votes on two people for their class. This months trait was "Caring" and Raya was voted for out of 36 students and was able to enjoy a lunch with her principal. It is true, Raya is a very caring person and I am soooo proud that she is turning into such a lovely young lady!

My next brag is about Malia. Malia is in first grade. Her teacher is actually a substitute teacher and has been since the beginning of the year. Her real teacher has been on medical leave since the end of last year. I got her teacher a simple $5 gift card to Jamba Juice just to say thank you for being there for my Malia. So she called me to thank me for it. We went on talking about Malia and how much I've seen her change and she told me how much Malia has opened up since the beginning of the year.

She then went on to tell me a story that happened earlier during the week. Her teacher gave each student 7 letters. They play a game with them. The kids start by making a one letter word like "a" then go to a 2 letter word like "at" Then a three letter word like "cat" and so on and so forth. After they got through the sixth word, the teacher told them that all seven letters make a word and to see if they could figure it out. She told me that she walked by Malia's desk and was blown away that Malia had spelt out the word "Scratch". Her teacher said that she wasn't sure if Malia knew for sure what she had spelt, but got it none the less. Malia did come home that day and told me that she was the only one in the class that knew how to spell "scratch" but didn't elaborate on the story so it was nice to hear how it happened.

Malia has always been a silent learner. She doesn't talk much but takes everything in. I am so proud of the progress she has made this year in school. It has been a huge change and I am excited to watch her grow throughout her school years.

So I will just brag about my two oldest daughters for now. I don't write much about them so it was time for me to share some of the good things I get to see and hear about. After all, I'm a mother and I've earned my bragging rights!

1 comment:

  1. Rach, you're kids are great because you're such a good mommy and work so hard with them. It's always nice to get compliments to know your hard work is paying off. Great job!

    ReplyDelete