I am by no means heavy into politics. Come election time, I do my research and cast my vote. Our country just had a HUGE election this past week. We voted for a new President. A man to rule our country and make decisions that will affect all of us who live in it. He is a black man. We have never had a black man in the white house. This is a historical moment. Why did this black man get elected? Among other things, he was qualified...He wasn't elected because of Affirmative Action...He wasn't elected because all the blacks went out to support their "brotha". He wasn't elected because he has a daughter named Malia like me...He was elected because the majority ruled and chose him to be the Commander in Charge. I read an article yesterday about the highly debated Prop 8. Supporters of Prop 8 debated that "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California" and the other side argued that we should have "Equality for All". The article was about a gay couple who got married during the time when it was legal in California. They were wondering what was going to happen to them. They made a comment that stood out to me and made me really think. The comment was basically that Prop 8 was about a minority issue and "unfortunately" it had a majority vote and it's really sad. I have pondered that statement a few times since reading it and felt that my feelings towards it is blog worthy.
Let's just say that I hold my cards close. A lot of people don't know where I stand when it comes to politics. I choose carefully who I discuss them with, however, I do my research and vote always. Truth is, I'm probably one of the most liberal Conservatives you've ever met but that's besides my point. Getting back to the comment the man said about a minority issue having a majority vote. My response to that is...IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME! I cannot count how many "minority issues" our county, state, and country have faced and those of us who are in the majority bend over backwards as to not "offend" anyone and accept all, leaving me offended. We have a black heritage month...Do we have a white heritage month? If we did, whites would be racist. So the gay and lesbian community are getting the butt end of the deal this time. Four high and mighty people who obviously thought it was important to make sure the minority's ruled again overturned Prop 22 which was essentially the same fight that supporters of today's prop 8 dealt with 8 years ago. FOUR people disregarded the majority vote and left many Californians offended and once again... minority ruled.
This blog is not about whether prop 8 is right or wrong. This blog is about that old saying "majority rules"...Does majority really rule or is it all politics?
Thanks for posting that, interesting point of view.
ReplyDeleteWe may just be more alike than I'd thought. :) I don't share my political thought swith most...I tend to be the black sheep around here on several issues.
ReplyDelete