Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rachael...Extraordinaire!

When I became a mother, I had no idea that "Mother" was the only thing that would really define who I was. Not that it is a bad thing...I'm just one that likes to have the word "Extraordinaire" tacked on to anything I do. To be Extraordinaire, one needs to be outstanding or remarkable in a particular capacity. Though I may not be "Mom...Extraordinaire", I can definitely tack that word onto many aspects of what I do as a mother, but honestly, this is all beside my point(I really just wanted to tack the word "Extraordinaire" to this blog).

I wanted to come up with a list of things about me. Positive, Negative, Embarrassing, Awesome, Funny...and maybe a little Interesting. It's hard to remember that the mom who is taking care of everyone else actually is a person with a past, a passion, dreams, and skeletons in the closet. A mom has, had, and will have a life again. So here's a little list all about me...(hopefully it doesn't take me hours or phone calls to particular people to come up with the list).

1. My name is spelled RachAel...with an A. No, it's not like the Rachel from the bible although it is pronounced the same way. Racial and Rochelle are two totally different names and I will not answer to either of them. I will always forgive my mother-in-law, who even after 13 years of marriage to her son, still spells my name like the Rachel of Old.

2. My cooking is off the hook! I make the meanest Grilled Cheese Sandwiches around...

3. I sang the National Anthem as well as the Canadian Anthem at Arco Arena for a Roller Hockey game shortly after I graduated from High School. I guess I sounded OK, I did have to try out for the part.

4. Used to sing "Your Mama's on Crack Rock" when I was a kid, and after watching the video for that song recently and actually listened to the words, I couldn't believe my Mama, let me listen to it!

5. I knew I was going to marry my husband when I was 14 years old...of course, I was going to marry all the cute guys I knew!

6. I sucked my thumb until I was 12 years old. As a result, I will now have to fork out a mini fortune to un-buck my teeth.

7. I still sleep with a blanket...it's not a special one, anything silky will do. At the same time I developed my unruly thumb sucking habit, I also obtained a "rub the silky material between two fingers" habit. I get some of my best thinking done while hanging out with my blanky!

8. I'm ambidextrous. I write and bat while playing ball left handed, I also wear a watch (If I wear one at all), on my left side. Everything else I do with my right. I eat with both hands and even though I write on paper with my left hand, I prefer to write on a chalk board (or the like) with my right hand.

9. I'm a Facebook junkie

10. Cannot stand to talk on the telephone. Texting or email is my preferred communication route.

11. I have no sense of style...whatsoever...I don't even own hairspray.

12. I am a middle child (#3 of 5) and I show the classic "middle child syndrome" signs.

13. I love watching Survivor but know my limits and will never try out...Big Brother on the other hand...Totally!

14. I can probably make you believe anything I say. I once got a co-worker to believe I was a topless singer in a bar.... I quickly filled him in that I was actually Mormon and would NEVER have enough guts to remove my top while singing in a bar or even want to for that matter, I quickly let him know before our lunch break was over that I was not telling him the truth before he could go start that fabulous rumor about me.

15. I am a plant killer...not on purpose though...ask the tomatoes in my back yard...oh, wait, nevermind... they're dead.

16. I think my kids are smarter than all the other kids their age, but know you don't want to hear the details about it.

17. Used to think I knew everything...turns out I don't.

18. Takes 5 minute showers most days because it's just another chore to mark off my daily list (and I don't want my house to burn down since child supervision is not existant during this time).

19. One day I'm going to go to NYC to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway...now if I could only get enough courage to get on a plane to get there.

20. I can quote more than enough lines from Phantom of the Opera...I can sing Opera too, but you'll probably never hear me since I don't do it in public.

21. I love to scrapbook (digitally mostly). I love photography, all kinds of crafts, organization, cleanliness, short socks, Converse, long shorts, Twilight, sugar cookies, sushi, diet Pepsi (and actually knew a girl in middle school named Pepsi after the soft drink). I don't like folding laundry, cooking, alarm clocks, most TV shows, and shopping.

22. Instead of complaining...I just do. It's easier that way!

23. I used to be very outgoing, now I just sit back and observe...One can learn a lot while watching people and their doings...sometimes I get annoyed when I am people watching and someone bothers me...even on dates with my husband.

24. I am a total emotional eater. Happy, Sad, Excited, Bored...you name it, I'll eat. I even have the girlish figure to prove this.

25. When someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always answered without a doubt "A Mom". And it's the best job in the world!
ONE MORE:
I used to watch my sister in law give her baby coke and couldn't believe she would do it. I wonder how many people think the same of me now that Carly gets a good amount of diet pepsi in her system.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this list...it's fun to learn more about you. I've always been a people watcher, too. :)

    ReplyDelete