
Before we bought our house, we came from one that was an energy gobbler. I'm talking a crazy amount of our retirement went to SMUD each month. So needless to say, we were super excited that we would save money on this aspect in our lives. After receiving our first bill, we were kind of perplexed that it wasn't much lower. Summer came and the bill actually decreased some.
Then, winter came and imagine our shock when we got a bill that was $230 more than the month before!!! Our heater got turned off, kids got lectured for leaving their light on, and showers/baths were shortened!
But then the next months bill came and I thought FOR SURE it would be lower. After all, we were conserving. That was not the case my friends... Get this! Our bill was a whopping $499.75!!!!! Put a stamp on that thing to mail it, and that's a $500 debt people! $500 freakin' dollars!!!!!!
So, the heater got permanently turned off, SMUD got a phone call and after much exploration, we found out that every time our heater was turned on, it went straight into Emergency Mode, using only heat strips to heat the house. THAT my friends is EXPENSIVE!!!
It took about a week to get someone out to come and fix it...$1200 later, we are finally hooked up correctly. It's nice to finally be able to wake up to a 68 degree house and not be freezing my "Royal Rasta Firing Nay Nay's" off!. 10 degrees sure does make a difference!
Thank goodness we had the money to pay the SMUD bill and the AC/Heater guy, but I would have seriously loved to have spent that money on something a little more my style!
I'm so sorry! I hate spending money on things like that.
ReplyDeleteAnd I sure can't handle the cold... I can't wait until spring!