Monday, February 6, 2012

Museum Day

Saturday, February 4th was free museum day in the Sacramento area. There were many museums that were opened free of charge to the public including parking! Our family took advantage of this and headed to The California Museum.

Photobucket

I actually drove on a field trip to this museum with Malia's class earlier this year. I didn't bring my big camera then and knew that I would want it this time around. There were many different kinds of exhibits to see.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This particular exhibit really stuck out to me as I just finished an amazing book (Unbroken) that talked a lot about World War II. The book mainly focused on what happened to the POW's in Japan during the war, but I never really thought too much about what happened to the Japanese Americans during that time. This is a picture of a "house" that the American Japanese lived in during the war. Very small. I could go on and on about it, but for the sake of time, I will just say that the whole war was just crazy!

Photobucket

This painting was on the ceiling. It was very long and very cool!

Photobucket

I don't even remember what this exhibit was about. I was just loving all the suitcases. They were very old and vintage and I kept thinking how awesome it would be to have some of them for photography shoots.

Photobucket

They had a "CA Hall of Fame" section and of course, I took a picture of this guy and his quote. I LOVE it!

Photobucket

This was my favorite part. It's called the Constitution Wall. As you can see, it is extremely big. You can see how small the kids are compared to it. It was kind of a hidden jewel amongst the crowds that day as you had to go outside to see it. Since we already knew it was there, we knew where it was and we were the only people outside and on Free Museum Day...there usually isn't an exhibit that only you are viewing.

Photobucket

And of course, the great Mickey Mouse...perhaps the kids' favorite part

Photobucket

We got lunch at the museum. I think they brought in some caterers to do it. By the time I got up there, they had sliced their prices in half and after purchasing four hotdogs with chips for $8 total, the guy said it was his biggest sale yet. Perhaps that's why they sliced their prices.

We had fun and enjoyed Free Museum Day. We will have to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment