She's twelve years old and she ROCKS! Due to the high demand of awesome babysitters and my need to keep her "MY" babysitter, I will call her "Karina". I met "Karina" and her family when I filmed her play at the elementary school my kids go to. Patrick and I took her to Sunsplash with our family over the summer which made that day so much more enjoyable. She was "learning" how to babysit and her mom offered to pay half of her earnings (which I declined).
I hadn't used "Karina" since that Sunsplash trip until this past week. I've used her three this week. I tried to pay her $30 for the first night. She told me she only charges $1 an hour...I laughed. I would never underpay my babysitters. Later that night, after I dropped her off at home, I was checking my email and to my surprise I opened an email from her that said:
"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Durling,
Thank you so much for letting me babysit tonight. It was really fun! You paid me way to much! (smiley face added here) My mom agrees with me! Thank you again. I would love to babysit really soon!
Sincerely,
"Karina"
P.S. All the kids were really good and Carly is so cute!!"
We had her babysit for us on Valentines Day. She had prepared a valentine chart that the kids got to put stickers on if they were being good. If they filled it up, they got a prize. She also had prepared a craft for them as well (cute valentines to Patrick and I)...
She turns off the T.V. and plays with my kids. She has taught Ethan some pre-kindergarten things and every time Ethan sees the letter "K" he says "Karina, starts with K"....Unfortunately, "Karina" is a busy girl. She dances 4 hours a day, three times a week, and is on a traveling soccer team so she is going to be harder to get here, but one thing is for sure...she is going to be the first babysitter I call and NO, you cannot have her name or number, so don't even ask! (place smiley face here).
Yep! I'd say she's a KEEPER! She comes prepared to entertain. :o)
ReplyDeleteI started babysitting for pay when I was 11 and I started out doing the same thing....bringing games, reward charts, treats, etc.
ReplyDeleteBut it eventually got old after awhile for both me and the kids.
(Well, except for the treats part, of course. Many years later they still spoke fondly of this gooey chocolate cake I made.)