
I am about ready to purchase myself a "No Soliciting" sign for my front door. I understand that people have got to make a living, but I am just NOT interested. I've learned to just hang up on telemarketers and not feel bad about it, but when they come to my door, I am polite, mostly because I would rather not have my car keyed or my house egged and some because it's hard to shut a door in someones face.
The doorbell rings tonight while I am making dinner (so convenient), and I decide to answer it. Two young men, clipboard in hand, introducing themselves before I even fully open the door. They told me they were trying to get people to take a survey so that they can "better our community". Nice young men, I'll give them that. Before they began, I specifically asked "This is just a survey, you aren't going to ask me to buy anything right?" They assured me that it was just a survey. The questions began..."Do you or anyone you know have high blood pressure? Would you or anyone you know benefit from non-medication anti-depression seminar? Do you or anyone you know smoke?" etc. etc. etc. Then I started getting "Do you believe what the bible says about natural disasters and wars as a sign of the last days? Would you or anyone you know be interested in a bible study group?" etc. etc. etc. Then they handed me a pamphlet and asked if they could come back with other "colleagues" to discuss it. I told them no thanks and that I was very happy with my religion and that it satisfied my spiritual needs. I told them that I would take their pamphlet and look over it though. They were kind and non-pushy and then left.
Here's where I have the problem. Most religions, if not all, teach about being honest. These two young men deceived me from the beginning so that they could hand me a religious pamphlet and try to get me to have some kind of bible study with them. Maybe they felt that they were being honest with me because they could justify the "better our community" line by getting my neighbors and I to join their church. They very well could have some kind of heart disease and non-medication depression classes that they offer, but seriously...was I not deceived at the beginning? I've had Jehovah Witnesses at my door who don't come out and say that they are actually Jehovah Witnesses, but they do come out with their bibles in hand asking to share scripture with me. The Mormon missionaries, when they knock on doors, the first thing they say is "Hi, I'm Elder (place name here) from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints". I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around a religion that will deceive people from the beginning to get them to listen. Thank goodness I live in a free country where I can choose to be one religion or another. Thank you to our American Soldiers for that freedom and thank you to the person who came up with the clever "no soliciting" sign that I will be purchasing tomorrow to hang on my front door.
OMGosh girl you read my mind. I've only lived in the new house for LESS than a month and the JW's have been at my door TWICE!!! They NEVER told me they were JW. . .I just knew. The first time they asked me if I spoke spanish. I said no so they left. The next time they used that same line and I, AGAIN, said NO. They still tried to talk to me and I told them I was busy. THey still handed me their "new paper things". . . in spanish. WHAT!!! Get the hint people. OH. . .and I have a BIG pick of the temple inside the house where you can see from the door. UGH! The nerve!!! :o)
ReplyDeleteI've lost count how many times a JW has stopped their car at a bus stop to pass out pamphlets to me and any others waiting for a bus.
ReplyDeleteAt least they aren't pushy after I politely decline the pamphlet...
Unfortunately, solicitors are immune to the “No Soliciting Signs”! Especially if they're just conducting a "survey".
ReplyDelete