Thursday, July 8, 2010

Are Flip Flops a total Flop?



I recently had a quick discussion with someone regarding the wearing of flip flops to church. The girl was 7 months pregnant and wearing flip flops. She actually felt guilty for wearing them to a church baptism. When I served in the Young Women's program (girls ages 12-17) in our previous ward (church congregation), the President of the organization talked with girls about wearing flip flops to church and basically told them that she didn't think that it was "appropriate"...I was wearing flip flops that day.

Since then, I have not worn flip flops to church. I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb, but since having that conversation with this particular lady, I have thought a lot about it. Here are my thoughts:

Flip flops are shoes for crying out loud! The Lord isn't going to judge a person because she or he are wearing flip flops to worship him in. Don't you think that the Lord would rather you be at church than at home because you had no "nice" shoes or you just wanted to wear flip flops? I don't think the Lord cares honestly, as long as you are there. It is true, we should wear our best to show respect for the Lord, but what if flip flops ARE our best? Are you going to judge that person...maybe you should walk a mile in their flip flops!

Ranting done ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I've thought about this a lot and haven't figured out how I feel about it.

    All I really know is that I try not to judge anyone. Ever. That's the most important thing.

    As far as my own feet are concerned, I don't wear flip flops at all (don't like how they feel!) so of course I would never wear them to church since I don't own any. Sometimes I worry that some of my sandals are a bit too informal for church, but I have weak ankles and can't really wear heels, so that limits my options.

    I love long skirts for wearing every day, so sometimes my Sunday outfit looks exactly like my weekday clothes. Not sure if that's a good thing...

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and about the all-day kindergarten... I don't like it at all! Still trying to figure out what to do in a couple of years for Laura...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that as long as you are worshiping the Lord, he doesn't care what you are wearing. Material possessions are not important in your relationship with Christ. Plus, every picture I've ever seen of Jesus shows him either barefoot or wearing Tiva-like sandals! :)

    My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... you'll have some comments on this post! It seems to be a heated topic for some reason. Let me start by saying what anyone wears to to church is none of my business and I could care less. For my own self however I have chosen not to wear my casual flip flops to church because for myself I feel like, while the Savior doesn't care what we wear, it is a sign of respect to dress as nice as you can while worshiping the Lord, and I do think he cares about that (showing respect). It's all about where your heart is he knows if that's all you can afford, find, or if very pregnant, can stand to wear! And I doubt that anyone will be kept out of the Celestial kingdom for wearing a specific type of footwear:) I'm loving your blog BTW. I look forward to the kid quotes of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Philosophy is me, Candice Humes. I was signed into the wrong account...oops!

    ReplyDelete