
I put together a family Pinewood Derby race. It was a blast! I got each person who wanted to participate an official Boy Scout of America pine block and had rules and assigned food to each family and it turned out real nice. I had no idea what I was doing so I relied on the internet for help. A few main things I would change for next years race would be 1. You have to actually build a car for that years race. You cannot dig out your old pinewood derby car that is 30 years old to race. and 2. You have to be present to win. None of this dropping off your old school car and going to work business...ahem Josh! We had a good turn out with cars and not only did the kids have a blast (especially Ethan) but the adults did too. One thing is for sure, derby competition doesn't go away with age...that's for sure.
THE CARS:












Raya and Malia were the judges and Ethan joined them eventually too. I think Ethan was the most excited about this whole thing. I don't think he realizes that he is going to be able to do this with the Cub Scouts next year!



I, being the crafty person I am, decopauged mine and titled it "The Grunge Princess". My dad helped Ethan with his car. It reminded me of the Batmobile but we had no black paint so it was painted red with a gold undertone:


Uncle Al placed the cars. He made sure they were as even as possible.

Others chilled:



Some got fake tattoos:

And the excitement was a little too much for the wee Poindexter babies:


We had different categories for awards. They were Best Theme, Most Humorous, Best Paint, Fastest Looking, and Strangest. Everyone voted which car they thought was best for each category but they couldn't vote for their own. I think I am going to change this whole thing up next year as the cars didn't really fit into these categories.

We did a double elimination round chart that became a little too complicated but eventually we were able to crown a winner...well, sort of.


As you can see, Josh was the winner, but since he wasn't present and his car was like 30 years old, we gave this:

to his mom (Aunt Patty) since her car came in second place. The trophy is going to be making its way back to the track each year and with it comes bragging rights for one year of WINNER at the Poindexter Pinewood Derby Race. Until next year...
No comments:
Post a Comment