Sunday, January 25, 2009

Football is NOT Just for the Young...

Ever since I can remember, my dad has loved the game of football. I remember as a young girl heading all over the state to watch my dad play the game he loved so much. He was good. He was strong. He LOVED the game. As I grew older, I still traveled the state watching him play. He reached the Semi-Pro league many many years ago. As I have grown into an adult, I have only watched a handful of of my dads games...You see, he has retired about 10 different times and only plays spiratically now. I will never understand what draws people to that sport. The sound of helmets crunching together alone is enough for me to wince in pain, but there's my dad, who can't seem to get enough.



Yesterday I was able to bring my family to another one of those spiratic games my dad can't seem to get away from. It brought back so many memories from my childhood. This time I was able to get up close and personal with all the players. I was down on the field taking picture of what could be my dad's last game (so he says). Most of the team was made up of young men ranging from 18-30 years old and then there were a few other players that were...well...not in their 20's, or 30's, or even in their 40's...These men were in their 50's pushing 60 years old.

(This is the "Over 50" crowd some who have been playing football with eachother for over 20 years! My dad...number 44, but we all know he is really #45, they must have been out of that number when issuing jersey's)

The announcer kept joking about the "ancient" players on the field and made one last final joke about "no one getting hurt". This was true. Everyone was glad that an ambulance didn't have to be called, but that doesn't mean no one got hurt.


(I know this isn't the most flatering picture of a strapping young football player, but I got to see interesting things like this ALL day)


(This was the least of my dad's problems...A possible broken rib later...this really could be his last game)

I enjoyed watching my dad play. I enjoyed taking pictures of the game. I enjoyed sharing a part of my childhood with my children. As my dad gets older, I can see the changes he is making both internally and externally. He is not the spunky, athletic, go to guy I remember as a child. He is turning into an old man, a grandpa...a grandpa with football running through his veins.



(The guys running next to my dad is probably there to just protect him so he doesn't get hurt...It's that silent cause called "Keep Grandpa Safe while on the football field :-)

1 comment: