Monday, April 13, 2009

Silk Tie Easter Eggs

I know, I know, I should have posted this a long time ago...Please don't be mad!

Raya was at Activity Days last week where I learned of this great way of dying Easter eggs...

Basically, you get a bunch of old silk ties. I guess the thrift stores carry them for around $1.50, but I just raided Patrick and my dad's closet.

Next, you cut pieces of the tie large enough to fit around an egg.

Then, you wrap a raw egg with the bright side of the fabric toward the egg and put a piece of white cloth over the silk. The white cloth could be an old sheet, pillowcase, or in my case, a shirt that Patrick grew out of. Then you twist tie them so that the egg is nice and secure.







Place all your tied eggs in a pot filled with water and some vinegar. I'd highly suggest that you obey the laws of laundry and seperate the colors because it does bleed (especially the red).



Bring to a boil and then turn the temperature down to simmer for at least 20 minutes (a little longer if you plan on eating the eggs).



When you are done, let the eggs cool. Unwrap them and VOILA:



The pattern from the tie transfer to the egg and the best part of it all...no messy hands or die to clean up. Just throw everything away or use the silk pieces for another batch. It was so easy and not time consuming and the eggs were beautiful! I highly recommend this for all of you who have children or are children at heart next year when you die some Easter eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment