Monday, November 29, 2010

Giving Thanks!

During Thanksgiving Break, I took a day and spent it away from the house and left the kids with a babysitter. The kids had a lot of fun and so did I. When I got home, there were turkey hand prints all over the house and this:

Photobucket

This was really cool. It had a bunch of different things that the kids were thankful for. It read:

WE'RE THANKFUL FOR...

Ethan: "I am very happy that Carly helps me clean my room."

Carly is happy for her family.

Raya: "I'm thankful for the time me and my dad spend together skiing."

Malia: "I am thankful for food!!!!!!"

Raya: "I am grateful for the turkey on the table on Thanksgiving."

Malia: "I am thankful for my nice warm house that I sleep in."

Ethan: "I am really happy that I have a mom and dad."

It was fun to see this up on the wall as a reminder that we not only need to be thankful for the big things in our lives but also the simple things in our lives.

The past few years I have hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my house. It actually worked out really well because we would have both Patrick's side of the family and my side of the family together, but since I was still recovering from knee surgery, I just wasn't up for the task this year. So my cousin Nate hosted it at his house and my Aunt Patty planned the activities. It was very nice and I enjoyed spending time with the family. I was especially grateful that I only had to bring mashed potatoes and pie!

Nate is an avid hunter. He has gone all over the world and hunted many animals. His living room is filled with trophy's like these:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got to hang out with a few reindeer, a moose, and other various animals including a bear!

The kids got to color:

Photobucket
(Cousins: Rylie Poindexter and Carly)


Photobucket
(Carly showing off her awesome coloring skills)

and make gingerbread houses:



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The food was yummy:

Photobucket
(Nate making candied yams)

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Mom and David)

And the company was even better:

Photobucket
(Nate, Jenn (adopted sister), Chris (Jen's friend/boyrfriend), and Hollis (Nate's friend)

Photobucket
(Sister-in-Law Kelli and niece Rylie Poindexter)

Photobucket
(Dad and his half sister Sue that if I've ever met her before, I can't remember)

Photobucket
(Patrick chatting it up with my Uncle Alvin)

Photobucket
(Raya standing next to one of the many art pieces on Nate's wall painted by my brother Jake)

Decorations were festive:

Photobucket

and the Force was strong:

Photobucket
(Brother Jared was playing Star Wars with Ethan)

I am really grateful for many things in my life! We were able to share what we were grateful for with the family. I shared that I was grateful for my health. I've been pretty healthy my entire life and the knee surgery has really made me grateful that I don't have to deal with different illnesses on a regular basis. I am also grateful for the opportunity that I have to stay at home and raise the children that Patrick and I have brought into the world. I didn't have kids to have someone else raise them and know that it isn't possible for some families to have a stay at home parent. The sacrifices that we make so that I can stay home is worth it. I am also grateful that Patrick has a job. Especially in this recession that we are in. He not only has a job, but he gets paid pretty well. I am grateful for many other things, but all of these things are the sprinkles on the cake...the cake being my family. I can't imagine going through my life without the love and support of my family (both biological and by marriage)...and especially for my kids. They are amazing and I am one lucky Mom!

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone....seriously, where has 2010 gone? Christmas and New Years is right around the corner...oh boy, I better get busy shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! And as always, so perfectly documented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The pictures are great and those gingerbread houses look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete