Since I wanted to share Halloween pic's, I figured I would just incorporate my idea into this post. So here goes nothing...
RAYA aka Mad Hatter Girl Version (From Alice in Wonderland)


It was hard to get a costume picked out for this girl. I cannot believe all the skanky outfits that we got to choose from. There was seriously two costumes from probably 50 that were appropriate for any lady.
Raya got to go to her first friend Halloween party this year. Her friend Lauren from school and soccer invited about 40 kids to her house to PAR-TAY! And Raya had an absolute blast! She couldn't stop talking about it. There were many contests and would you believe that Raya won the BEST COSTUME contest? That's right...she worked her modest costume and came home with an Oscar style Headless Skeleton Trophy for Best Costume. On actual Halloween, she went out with Lauren for some other Trick or Treating fun where she was able to go fishing, catch a trout, watch someone cook it and eat it too. Another fun filled night with her friend Lauren.

Raya is now in the 6th grade. She is doing well in school and enjoys being there. Right now she has been doing many fundraisers to earn money for Science Camp. It will be 4 days of pure fun in the bay area in January...Cost: $325...Anyone need any Yankee Candles???
Raya is a HUGE help with the kids especially since I've had surgery on my knee. She is brave when it comes to helping me in the shower. No kid at her age really wants to see her parents naked, but she steps up and helps me in need. I told her that I know it's totally gross, but I appreciate her to the moon and back. I also told her that if she wants to be a nurse someday, she'll need to get used to it.
Raya loves to sing. She's like her mother that way. I always hear her in her room belting out some sort of tune. She's in choir at school and really enjoys it as well.
Raya also is a Soccer RockStar! She is amazing on the field and defends her goal like non-other. Just last weekend I got to watch her do some crazy footwork on the field. it was awesome!
Raya is very emotional. She is very sensitive to anything these days and I often find myself thinking "Are you serious? Give me a break!" But I totally understand. She is approaching womanhood (if you know what I mean) and is very sensitive. It's something we have to work through I guess...
Raya just recently said to me that turning 12 is going to be the best year for 5 reasons. They are:
1. I get a cell phone (yes, Patrick promised this to her over a year ago and now he has to fess it up in about 6 months...he's not looking forward to it, nor am I.)
2. I get to babysit
3. It's one year away from being a teenager (oh, help me please!)
4. I get to go to Young Woman's (Organization at church for girls ages 12-17)
5. (oh, I can't remember this one....)
I am really grateful for my little lady Raya. She is turning into an amazing young woman and I couldn't be prouder (you know, in a non-proud way)!
MALIA aka THE CHEERLESS LEADER


Yes my friends, you read that right, she was a cheerLESS leader (hence the non-smile)
Malia also got to experience her first friend Halloween Party at her friend Elora's house. There were about 20 3rd graders there and she knew 2, but said that she made friends with some other girls while she was there. It's amazing to me when I think of this child of mine as a young toddler, I would never have guessed she would make friends so easily or feel comfortable going to a party where she knew almost no-one. She sure has come a long way from that little girl who would never EVER leave my side or look anyone in the eye and heaven forbid talk to anyone.
Malia is in the 3rd grade. She has been struggling with attention problems in school. She was originally in a rapid learner program at the beginning of the school year but because she was having a hard time staying focused and the class was excelling far more rapidly than your average 3rd grade class, we took her out and put her into regular 3rd grade curriculum. By doing that, the stress level dropped immensely and a smile returned to Malia's face. She's still struggling with focusing issues, but we are working through them.
Malia has been rocking the soccer field too. It has been said (not just by her parents), that she is the best defender the Lava Girlz have...and she is great especially since this is her first year playing (besides when she played at age 4).
Malia loves to play with nail polish and makeup. I often find her and Carly giving eachother makeovers in their bedroom. Of course I have found red nail polish on the bedroom's tan carpet...but I'm over that now...really, I am.
Malia loves to read. Actually I have to tell her to go and read, but when she starts, she doesn't like to stop. Now if I could just get her to pick up that book on her own.
Malia's favorite food right now is: Candy and Chicken and Noodles
Malia's favorite TV show right now is: She doesn't have one. She doesn't really watch TV and said that it was a good thing.
Malia's favorite subject in school right now is: Social Studies
Malia's favorite thing to do right now is: Make up stories
Malia's favorite dessert right now is: Ice Cream and Cinnamon Rolls
Malia is the loudest kid in the house. She is constantly being told to be quiet. When she is excited she has a body shake and a funny sound she makes...When this happens, we know something exciting is happening to her...it's rather amusing to watch.
Even though Malia has a hard time listening, I understand that it's her age and that Raya was once like this too. She is pretty responsible and for the most part, makes good choices. We are working on many things with her, but that is what our jobs as parents are for right?
ETHAN aka JANGO FETT


I need to come up with a poster that says:
"Everything I ever needed to know, I learned from Star Wars"
Ethan is a walking Star Wars encyclopedia. The funny part is, is that he became one without ever have watching a movie, reading a book, or doing any online research. The kid learned everything from the Lego Star Wars Wii game. He seriously amazes me with the knowledge he has about Star Wars. Since then, he has seen almost all the movies and has read many books about it. So when it came time to pick out his costume, I wouldn't have expected anything other than something Star Wars. I was thinking Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker or some other major character, but NO, this kid picks Jango Fett...I actually had to look him up to find out who he was. Apparently Jango Fett is a Bounty Hunter...interesting.
Ethan is a very smart boy. He is in kindergarten and has probably excelled over some first graders. He knows how to read, he knows how to add, subtract, and is working on multiplication facts. The kid already knows how to tell time on an analog clock, and has a memory like none other. His memory has limit though...One could ask him what 3x3 was and he will rattle off the answer, but if you ask him where he put his shoes...that's a different story.
Ethan is such a loving little boy. He is always offering up hugs and kisses and telling me he loves me. He is also turning into the "natural boy". You know, the one where with every ending of a sentence the word "fart" or "burp" are included.
Ethan's favorites:
Food: Pancakes and Waffles
TV Show: Caillou
Movie: Star Wars
Dessert: All kinds of Candy, like chocolate and suckers
Thing to Do: Play soccer and get some exercise and have light saber battles
Favorite Thing at School: Do playtime with Logan Stockett
Favorite Sport: Soccer (which he is amazing at. Goalie and Striker...he rocks!)
I love my little man. He is learning to not be a crybaby (which has been a blessing since he was the biggest one around), and is growing up way too fast! I've had many compliments from other parents who help out in his class. They tell me how smart he is and want to know my secret. There is no secret, the kid is just naturally like that. Of course we got the progress report from the teacher which stated he was advanced in all subjects but that he had a hard time staying focused and knowing what was going on...of course, we knew that...he gets it from his dad...Hehehe
CARLY aka LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD (or Red as she calls it)



Carly is soooo cute and when you ask her "how did you get so cute?" She promptly replies "Because my mommy made me." It took me awhile to get her to say that but it's so totally true!!! ;-)
Carly is another one of those bright kids. At the ripe age of 2.5years old, she can already recognize all the letters of the alphabet and can tell you most of the sounds of them. She also can count up to 30 (to put things into perspective, kindergartners need only to count to 20). I wish I can say that I've spent many hours working with her on these talents, but I cannot. In fact, I have to give the credit to PBS. Yes, shows like Super Why (her absolute favorite) and Word World (her second favorite) She also LOVES to sing. It is hilarious to watch her. She gets Raya to play the piano and she gets up on the fireplace with the Wii microphone and starts belting out Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She has a good tune too. She loves to dance and bug her brother Ethan (which she is really good at). She has a scream that will pierce your ears like non-other and she talks about her Birthday all day everyday. She knows how to spell her entire name (including her middle), she knows when her birthday is, and she can tell you how old she is and how old she will be when she actually has her birthday. Carly is the only child I've had that when she is tired, she will ask if she can close her eyes OR she will go get in her bed and go to sleep. She also enjoys milk. She will drink milk in lew of a meal any day. She still loves to wake up in the middle of the night and climb into bed with me. I know it's because she gets cold, but she refuses to wear any pajamas. In fact, she prefers to run around in her underware all day long (which I let her so don't be surprised when you stop by, she's in her tighty whities).
I have to give a big thanks to my dad. He called me and asked me if he could buy the kids their costumes this year. I tried to talk him out of it asking him if he had seen the prices that costumes run. He assured me that he wanted to do this, so I let him....$150 later we were out the door. Thank you dad, because I didn't have to worry about costumes at all which was super helpful since I decided to have surgery right before Halloween.
I took this picture of the kids at a photo shoot I did earlier this month. I thought it turned out rather cute for not getting my kids dressed up and making it all professional. I love my kids. They are amazing little Rascals!
Aw that was a really cute post! Definitely a good one to have in a future blog book. See, it's like instant scrapbooking! haha stories, memories and pictures all in one :) Carly is super adorable. I love all their costumes! And way to go Raya for getting BEST costume and being modest! Very cool. She will have so much fun in YW :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! Your kids are lucky to have you. And I'm super glad that Malia is happier at school now. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm having a hard time writing this comment because Laura is sitting here and keeps telling me to scroll up so she can "See Carly again!"
What AWESOME kids you have!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that Raya will be in YW next year!
Sadly, we aren't getting any new beehives next year...there's no 11 year old girls in my ward!
[And Raya's friend Lauren totally reminds me of someone...but I can't think of who it is!]
And Carly as Little Red Riding Hood is just too cute!